Objectives and Challenges
Why a 'future normal' green office building?
Built as a commercial office building for Sustainable Energy Africa and other organisations.
Investors and SEA wanted to "walk the talk" and show it could be done as a commercial investment
(with limited financial resources and no grant financing) - that this can be a normal way of building
in the future!!
This project aims to demonstrate:
- A commercially viable green building including maximum lettable space with adequate parking, cost effective design and materials
- Resource efficient building
- Healthy and beautiful working environment
- Design responsive to user needs
- Environmentally responsible building and operations
Important determinants of design:
- Tenant needs
- Participative design and construction
- Passive solar design
- Efficient and environmentally responsible resource use
- Local availability of materials
- Limited finances
- Financial viability
- Simple structure
- Modular layout for easy adaptability